It doesn't matter what you do really. Whether you're selling a car, ice cream or a hotel stay, the goal shouldn't be to meet someone's expectations...it should be to do something unexpected. That's what gets people to talk, write and come back.
- If someone is expecting to arrive at your hotel and stand in line to check in...greet them at the door and take them directly to their room (happens here)
- If someone is expecting to see photo's of a car you're selling...show them a video
- if someone is expecting you to charge them for extra cheese...give them a choice of three kinds...for free
- if someone is expecting an electronic confirmation after signing up for a newsletter...send them a handwritten thank you note
- if someone is expecting you to say no...say yes instead
Do what you can to move away from the norm...deviate whenever possible.