They are the opposite of team players.
- see themselves differently than everyone else
- focus on the transaction that benefits them
- are entitled by tenure or expertise in a specific task
- have tunnel vision- can’t see beyond themselves and their transactions
- believe they are indispensable
What would be missed if they were gone...beyond their specific task, beyond the transaction? Would the culture change?
Are they placeholders for a potential upgrade to someone who cares about the greater good, the whole organism.
If you care about culture, the fulfillment of team and individual dreams and about happiness you must avoid I players. And this is precisely why you should hire on attitude, approach and caring about more than yourself.